The essence of Community Led Development is working together in a place to create and achieve locally-owned visions and goals. Rather than being a model or service, CLD is a planning and development approach.
There are five core principles* of CLD practice:
1. Shared local visions drive action and change
2. Using existing strengths and assets.
3. Many people, groups and sectors working together.
4. Building diverse and collaborative local leadership.
5. Working adaptively, learning informs planning and action
Implementing all CLD principles at once is sometimes simply not possible – especially in the establishment phases. What matters is starting from where you, your organisation or community are at and then applying a CLD framework to guide how things develop from there.
Download CLD Principles 2018
To find out what you can share and adapt from this website, see IC’s Creative Commons Policy.